Monday, December 1, 2008

"Called for the Doctor, and the Doctor Said..."

Back to see my doctor today for the follow-up from last Monday's discovery. I feel like I heard a lot of information, so I'll try to convey it here the best I can.

Drank the glucose drink (not as tasty as I remembered it from last time!) and had my blood drawn. Will have to wait a few days to receive the results. From what I understand, this test may or may not have indicators for diabetes. It if does, I have to do a 3-hour glucose test to find out if I have diabetes. If it doesn't, then I'm ok as far as that's concerned.

Had the ultrasound. Conclusion: I'm growing another big baby! I am now 25 weeks pregnant; baby's head measures at 28 weeks, and his/her belly measures at 26 weeks. They can also measure the amount of amniotic fluid, and that is normal.

However, this still does not answer the question as to why I am measuring 6 weeks bigger.

My doctor says that because baby is measuring big, it could be an indicator of diabetes. Having a larger baby also puts me at an increased chance for pre-term labor. Also, on the ultrasound, he saw a small "sparkle" on the baby's heart. He referred to it as a "calcification" and reassured me that he is not concerned about it. He explained that it is located around the heart's valves, and made it sound like he's seen it before with no indications of there being problems. (Baby's heartrate was normal, in the 140s.) But because of all of these things (most prominently the large baby paired with my large belly), he is referring me to a perinatologist located in Peoria for a more technologically advanced ultrasound (hmm...that sounds familiar...I think I had to do that a few times with Drew...) to look into these issues further and catch anything now rather than later.

I'm waiting to hear back from my clinic on when that appointment is scheduled, and I go back in two weeks to see my doctor so he, too, can keep an eye on things.

On a super-bum note: I gained 4 pounds this last week. And that's just from Thanksgiving...wait until Christmas! Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment