Friday, January 18, 2013

Our Playlist

I wouldn't consider myself especially knowledgeable about the current music scene.  I can't remember the last time I purchased an album...long enough that, no doubt, it was an actual, physical CD.  I am finding that as I gain experience as the mother of young children...I relish quiet.  So I rarely find myself turning on iTunes or cranking up the radio.

However.

We have always liked to dance with the boys.  Here.  In the privacy of our own home.  Because if you know me well enough, you'll know I'm not likely to take the dance floor in public.  I have this thing about looking like an idiot in front of other people - I try not to.

Dance parties are pretty routine around here, though.  They are a truly remarkable way to work out the wiggles, as well as the crabbies.  Seriously.  Who wouldn't be in a good mood after doing this???


In the past, we've rocked out as a family to the Imagination Movers.  They've been on {our} music scene for what seems like forever.  Then, for some strange and random reason, the boys all of the sudden discovered the musical stylings of Yo Gabba Gabba (a show they don't even watch), and it became the background music to our lives.

Well, let me just say, thank the good Lord above for VH1's top video countdown on Saturday mornings!  One more round of "All My Friends are Insects" or "Don't Bite Your Friends" was about gonna do me in.  Brad will usually have VH1 on sometime on Saturday mornings, and it was there the boys were introduced to many of the songs they now know by heart.  They are popular songs (obviously), catchy, quirky and, most important, danceable tunes that we all have come to blurt out at the top of our lungs just because it's fun.

And as I spoke of in my Christmas travels post...such music becomes downright necessary on road trips.

If you follow either Brad or myself on Facebook, you know that the boys' most favorite song (right now) is Taylor Swift's "We are Never Ever Getting Back Together."  I promise you that if you are neither a fan of her or this song, this little video just might put new favor towards her name. :)

{pardon the poor video quality...but the payoff is worth it in the end!}


2012-12-24 16.47.57 from Brad Vander Waal on Vimeo.


Pretty hard to resist smiling during that one, eh?  And boy, that Tigger can boogy!


And just to prove that the boys know more than just Taylor Swift...



2012-12-30 22.50.46 from Brad Vander Waal on Vimeo.

We do have a playlist explicity titled "Dance" (catchy, right?) and it currently includes...

(you'll notice a heavily VHI-influenced compilation)

We are Never Ever Getting Back Together (Tayor Swift)
Good Time (Owl City & Carly Rae Jepsen)
Home (Phillip Phillips)
Ho Hey (The Lumineers)
Some Nights (Fun)
Rock Party Anthem (LMFAO)
Move (MercyMe)
We are the Champions (Queen) (Brad threw a little old school in there.)
Call Me Maybe (Carly Rae Jepsen)


{**NOTE:  for those of you that are familiar with some of these artists and their tendency to be on the inappropriate side...rest assured we are protecting our children from that kind of nonsense!**}

Pretty fun, right?

Now y'all wanna come over and dance, dontcha?  You may.  So long as you're willing to join in on what would win us $10,000 on America's Funniest Home Videos.

Dance on!




No comments:

Post a Comment