Sunday, October 19, 2008

Spaghetti-Os & Peanut Butter Sandwiches

How come things are never quite how you remember them when you were little?

For example, peanut butter sandwiches dipped in Spaghetti-Os. (Now before you say "eww, gross," you know you ate some gross food concoctions of your own!) Growing up, my oldest brother and I always enjoyed a big bowl of Spaghetti-Os (with meatballs, of course) for lunch. And it was never complete without a peanut butter (no jelly) sandwich to dip in it. I guess I was feeling nostalgic the other day at the grocery store, because I bought a can of Spaghetti-Os for Drew to try. So I warmed them up yesterday for lunch... but as I opened the can, the smell kind of repelled me a little bit. I guess I never had the pleasure of actually preparing lunch when I was younger, so was never greeted with that less-than-appetizing smell. Nonetheless, I warmed those Os up, slapped some PB on some bread, and introduced Drew to my childhood memory.

Well, Drew thought what probably many of you are thinking right now: "Are you kidding me?"

He took one bite of the sandwich, and skipped the Os all together.

So let me just say, peanut butter sandwiches dipped in Spaghetti-Os is not what it used to be. Maybe it's because I bought meatball-less Os, or maybe because our PB was on wheat bread instead of white. Either way, it wasn't as good as I remember. So Jeremy, if you've ever wondered, now you know. Let's just keep those memories in the past...

Drew asked for cheese instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment