Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Best Kind of Vacation

Drew and I were able to introduce Reed to our yearly summer tradition this past week... a getaway to Grammy & Papa's house in Minnesota! For the third summer now, as Brad has been away on a mission trip with the youth group, I have taken Drew, and now Reed, with me to my parents house. It's great for both the boys and for me. They get to spend some time away from home, trying some new and special things, and I get to spend some time with my brothers, whom I don't see very often. Oh, and I also get a *few* extra hands to help with the boys! (I was able to take in a Twins game with Dad, go shopping with Mom, and visit a good friend in the Cities, which included shopping, lunch, and a movie!) This year's "vacation" was filled with many fun things for the boys (well, Drew anyway. Reed's pretty content sitting on laps!). Drew enjoyed a parade, played outside, visited Candyland, went swimming, swinging, and sliding, visited an animal park, and got to sit in a fire truck and police car. Drew also had many play buddies, including Uncles Jeremy and Justin, and Avery. Needless to say, Drew is exhausted. He took two naps on the way home, slept in until 8am Saturday morning, and I had to wake him up this morning at 8:45 so we could get to church on time. We're talking about a kid who normally doesn't sleep past 7:15!!

Oh, and both boys did great in the van, considering the long drive. We made pit stops as needed and were able to stop by my cousin's house on the way there and on the way back, to stretch our legs and blow off some energy. As you can see from my previous post, road construction is my nemesis. Ohhhh, do I hate those "Road Work Ahead" signs! Let's just say I'll be content at home for a little while... say, until October?


Gator

With Grammy, enjoying the outdoors.

Drew's introduction to Candyland. He liked it. A lot.

Ok, so it was barely 70 degrees outside. The water was a bit chilly, but as you can see, he doesn't seem to mind.

Reed and Uncle Jeremy

Naptime

Reed and Uncle Justin

At the animal park. I was very impressed that Drew actually fed the pony himself. He found the pony's tongue quite ticklish!

"Hello, goat."

Slidin'

Swingin'

Giddyup

Ah, it's good to know people. Uncle Jeremy pulled a few strings (translation: made a phone call) and Drew was able to visit the fire station. He got to sit in the fire trucks, meet a real-life fireman, and play with the lights and sirens. Let's just hope that's the only time I ever have to see him in the back seat of a police car!

On the job.

Are they...
1) defenders of the public?
or 2) mischievous trouble makers?

Cool

No comments:

Post a Comment