Friday, May 25, 2012

His Last Day


Wednesday was Drew's last day of preschool.  Ever.


I could just leave it at that.  I should just leave it at that so that I don't get all blubbery and sad on you.  The truth is, I kinda missed it.  His last day, that is.  The entire last year has flown by, really.  Easy to say now as there were moments in the midst of it that sure seemed to crawl by at its own slow and steady pace.  But now...there just seems like so much has taken place.  Not the least of which is the aging of my boys.  And on Wednesday, there was no celebration, no pomp and circumstance for the last day of school.  Drew was excited, yes.  He's been counting down the days since the first of the month.  But I was gone.  I worked that morning so I was gone before he left for school and I didn't get home until after he did.  So I missed it all.

{Granted, it was just another "normal" day at school; meaning, no fun preschool graduation ceremony.  I wouldn't have missed that. :)  But still, I missed taking him and picking him up and watching him as he said good-bye to his teachers and friends.}

By now I know you've heard me crying my eyes out enough about having to work.  Shoot, you're probably crying your own eyes out at the hint that I might just bring it up again.  Just hear my heart on this one, ok?  To me, I missed something big.  The last day was a big deal to Drew, and while we'll have plenty more last days and first days, it's still a bummer to me to have missed even one.  There are bigger things, more important things that, if I'm honest with myself, I'll miss, too.  I guess I'm just trying to grasp at the kid who is growing much too quickly.  Kindergarten is next.  Whoa.  That's the big leagues, people.

But anyway...time stands still for no one, so we're here, done with school for the year and looking forward to summer!        

*********************************************

There are a few fun things that I haven't blogged about that rounded out the last month and a half of school for Drew.

The first was their spring program, where the Purple Class performed songs, recited memory verses and told jokes for their parents and families.  We gathered on a Friday morning to be entertained and humored by a group of good-natured and silly preschoolers!








At the very end of April, Drew's and Avery's classes gathered together for a field trip to the local fire station.  They learned all about fire safety, fire fighters and their equipment and trucks.






The fire station is just up the street from school, so the kids were able to walk.  Reed and I joined them, and I thought it was both a fun and educational trip for the kids, as well as for me.  Although...I'm not so sure it was necessary for that fireman to mention that a little girl was sleeping on the pillow he showed as an example of something that had gotten burned by a candle!  Leave it up to a 5-year-old (not mine) to ask, "Was she killed???"  Thankfully, no...but yipes!

And the school year finished with one last class trip to Sibley Park.  I was working so I couldn't tag along, and according to Drew, they didn't do much.  At a park.  With play equipment and farm animals.  Nope, didn't do much at all.  Do you see why it's so important for me to be able to go to these things?!?! 

Lastly, one of my favorite things the last couple months of school has been the "Joke of the Day" Mrs. Tramp has been sharing with the kids.  Drew was always quick to tell us the joke when we came to pick him up, and the best is when we know that Drew has no idea what makes the punchline so funny, but he enthusiastically cracks up anyway. 

Like, "Why was the car smelly?  Because it had too much gas!"  

Sure is funny...but I know Drew doesn't know why!

************************************************
So...

Good-bye 5C's.


Good-bye Mrs. Tramp.

Good-bye preschool.

You have been so, so good to us.


No comments:

Post a Comment