Saturday, July 17, 2010

Grumpy Is as Grumpy Does

So, as you know, we go to the library on Tuesday mornings for story hour minus the actual story hour since all Drew wants to do is the art project, check out new books and come home. We usually end up picking out 4-5 books to bring home for the week, and just like a kid, both of us usually pick the books based on their covers.

I know, I know, don't judge a book by it's cover. But c'mon, you know you do the same thing. Especially with children's books. Good illustrations make for 90% of the reading experience!

I digress. Anywho, sometimes, regardless of the cover art, the book ends up being a dud. Newsflash: not all books are, well, that great. Some are quite dull, actually. Out of the 4-5 that we bring home, one, maybe two, are worth reading over and over and over again. And Drew will be sure to let you know which one that is. :)

This week, though, we picked up a great book. So great that I ask Drew if we can read it over and over and over again!

This baby should be a children's classic.

First of all, check out that illustration. Just begging to be read, right? (The illustrations on the inside are just as vibrant and fun. Click here to check them out.)

Second of all, you know what that birdie wants to do with that lip, don't you???

And lastly, the storyline is classic and oh-so-true! It goes through all the things that a kid might be grumpy about (like waking up on the wrong side of the bed, being touched by your brother/sister, having your gravy touch your peas, etc, etc, etc) and concludes with the "worst" reason of all.

Now you know I can't give that away. I want you to go read this book!

I think this book resonates more with me than with Drew. He's not so much in the grumpy stage of childhood, but it's one that I clearly remember when I was a kid.

And I'm pretty sure my parents remember, too.

Right, Mom? Dad?




No comments:

Post a Comment