Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Easter Egg-stravaganza

{& Project Life, Week 14}

Our celebration of Easter revolved around a new tradition, some old traditions, and time with spent with family.  What else could anyone ask for???

The New Tradition: With help from the wonderful world wide web (and Pinterest) I found THIS 12-day activity plan for Resurrection Eggs.  I made my own eggs using some of our extra plastic eggs (I'm pretty sure I'll never have to buy another plastic egg again...do these things multiply when they're tucked away the other 11 months of the year?!?!) and some rub-on numbers I had in my scrapbooking stash.  It turned out to be a really delightful activity for the boys.  Every night, they looked forward to opening an egg and finding the treasure inside.  Drew was a rock star when it came to answering some of the questions about each Bible story.  It's so amazing to hear him speak of Jesus and His Word.  I love it.    

An Old Tradition: Easter Egg Dyeing.  We used a couple egg dyeing kits I had gotten last year on clearance after the holiday, although I really wanted to do the Kool-Aid trick using muffin tins.  There's always next year.





An Old Tradition: Gathering with family to celebrate the holiday.  We had been hoping to go to Des Moines for the weekend to be with Brad's family; however, I had my first night of work on Saturday and I don't think Brad wanted to travel again, alone with the boys, so soon after having gotten back from spring break.  My mom's family, though, was scheduled to gather here at mom and dad's house on Saturday, and as it was often difficult to drive the distance from Illinois for our Gushee gatherings, we were thankful for the convenience of this one.  There were 21 of us here, including six of the great-grandchildren.

(Addy snuck away as I was taking this photo.)

When I see these kids together, it makes me think about what my cousins and I must've been like when we were together at Grandma and Grandpa's house.  I don't think we had our noses stuck in DS's or iPod's or other handheld games, I'm sure, but the time we had together was pretty awesome.

The Classic Old Tradition: Easter church service followed by an egg hunt.  The four of us went to the later service, and when we came home, the Easter bunny had visited us!  {He's really great about giving Pastor's kids, and their parents, a little leeway when it comes to dropping off the eggs.  He's knows it wouldn't be easy on us if he came before church, so he comes during.  Such a good bunny.}


Does anyone else think Drew looks like he's 10 years old in this picture???




The eggs are from the bunny, and then everyone gets a basket from Grammy and Papa.  The grandkids are sure to be stylin' in their matching PJs!  We also gave Drew and Reed baskets from us, which included a couple movies, cars, new card games and coloring books - all things I had in my go-to gift box in the basement.  

Good times.

{And for the sake of expediting blog posts, these pics will be used for Week 14 of Project Life.  As for Week 13, which I never blogged about... the pics from spring break, the treasure hunt, and the hotel pool will all be included.} :)




1 comment:

  1. Lesley
    I love the activity plan you used for your resurrection eggs. I debated between that and the one I ended up using (that one's on my list for next year when Isaac is a bit older). How did you get all the things to fit inside the eggs?? ;-)
    Missy

    ReplyDelete