Friday, March 30, 2012

We're Going on a Treasure Hunt

*The boys and Brad returned home on Wednesday after spending several days with Brad's parents...and we have had a full week since they got here!  I have a lot to catch up on and write about...it's all coming soon!  I'll start with today to get it started.*

The boys, Grammy and Papa toured the town this morning when they went on their very own treasure hunt.

Well, they and several other Mankato residents.

For the past several months (and for the next few years), Mankato is sponsoring a CityArt Walking Sculpture Tour.  It's something that my dad has been wanting to go see, and he proposed to the boys coming along to follow the map to find their "treasures".

There is a total of 25 sculptures placed throughout downtown Mankato and downtown North Mankato

 and the boys ventured out, map in hand, to hunt for every single one.  I met up with them when they were about two-thirds of the way through, and Drew showed me all of the numbers he had already found and crossed off on his map.

Finding #15 (which you can't see because I'm such a sweet photographer). :/

 Taking a peek at #16.

 Learning all about #17.


And if looking at sculptures begins to get a little weary...

...you can just making your own living statues!

Or become part of an existing one!

The display throughout town was pretty amazing.  I'm not typically artsy fartsy like that, but these sculptures really are quite stunning.  The boys seemed to enjoy it and even though it was a bit chilly this morning and there was quite a bit of walking, they both fared well.  Although, something about one of the sculptures must've spooked Drew.  As I was tucking him in tonight, he told me that he needed to sleep with me.  "I need you to help me stop thinking about the walk this morning" he told me with a shaky and nervous voice.  I talked to him about other things, like his friends at school and the fun we had yesterday and the fun we'll have tomorrow and then we prayed that Jesus would calm him fears and fill his head with only good things.  He was better after that, and I haven't heard from him since.

Maybe next time we'll go on a treasure hunt for Easter eggs and chocolate bunnies. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment