Monday, March 22, 2010

Weekend Wrap-Up

As I mentioned in my previous post, Brad's parents, along with one niece and one nephew, came for a visit this past weekend to celebrate Reed's birthday. Because we were in Florida with my family just prior to his birthday, and celebrated with them there, I decided not to have an official party for Reed as he turned one (add it to the list of things Reed will bring up as "unfair" when he's a teenager!). Instead, we invited Brad's family to come when they would like (if they were able) to wish Reed a happy birthday.

And because there was no official party, there had yet to be an official cake. Reed had his own first birthday cake in Florida, and I hadn't baked one for us because, quite frankly, I'd be the only one that would eat it and I just don't need that kind of diet these days! So with company coming, what better time to make a cake, right?

In the back of my mind, I knew that if I would bake a cake, I would want it to be a Monkey Cake (what else, right?). I looked at my local grocery store, and they had a cute monkey made from cupcakes, but having ordered from them for Drew's first birthday, and being less than satisfied with the results, I was hesitant to order from them again. And as I've mentioned before, my friend Manda makes cakes, but I didn't want to bother her on short notice. So I thought to myself "I can totally do this." And lo and behold, I did!


I Googled "monkey cake" and this was in the top five images. Super cute, and appeared to be somewhat easy for a super-cake-decorating-novice like me to replicate. And for the most part, it was. Simple circles cut to size and no small details to try to work out with a pastry bag and frosting! It was actually kinda fun (although time consuming) and I look forward to attempting to do it again!






Grandma and Grandpa came with a slew of gifts for Reed, and a special one for Drew, too. Reed got a couple new outfits for spring, a baseball and bat, and a few other toys. As always, Drew was ever-so-helpful when it came to tearing off the wrapping paper!





This is a small, handmade tote bag made by Grandma Boat some years ago before she passed away. It was made to be given to our first-born when he began attending Sunday School. It's Drew's "church bag" for him to use to bring home all of his class papers.





A few of the other things we did.








No comments:

Post a Comment