Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sweet Stay-cation

I learned something so valuable back in November, after Brad and I had returned from our vacation to San Francisco:

One of the best things I can do for my children is to spend some time away from them.

It's good for me. It's good for them.

Time apart allows me to be a better mom when we are together again.

Time apart allows them to learn how to rely on other people, experience something different, and learn new things.


About a month ago, I knew that it was creeping slowly closer to me needing some time away from the boys. And not just a couple hours on one afternoon. I needed some time...a few days...to focus on me for a while. It sounds so selfish, I know. To a large degree, it feels selfish.

But taking the time for me so that I can be a better me for them, has been one of the greatest lessons I've learned as mother.

Don't get me wrong, I miss them like crazy. It's more difficult than I thought to switch my attention to something else, even something enjoyable. It's hard to break out of my normal mommy routine. I found myself losing motivation to do something for a lengthy period of time because I don't normally have the time to do anything for any duration longer than five or 30 minutes.

But I did do a lot. And as a list-maker, I crossed a lot off my list. :)


But first, the things I didn't do...




I didn't clean,








do laundry,








cook (or do dishes),








change diapers,








step on any small toys that are usually littered throughout the kitchen floor,





nor did I sleep in...because apparently my body doesn't let me anymore...







...and neither does she.






So, what did I do?




I ran some errands,







picked up a *FREE* tumbler at Starbucks, filled with hot cocoa (it was a little chilly in all that ran on Friday),






caught up on DVR'd episodes of Lost,







blogged, Photoshopped, and caught up on my Goggle Reader,







organized my coupons and made shopping lists,







started a new book,








picked








up








the








clutter








that








dominates








this








house,








watched Brad play...








...Drew's new game for the XBox,








ran more errands,








and watched a couple movies








while I








created my








own mess








during my personal "Scrap Fest".





I'm not sure that the mess I created was warranted considering I didn't get as much done in Reed's album as I was hoping. I scrapped from (roughly) 7:30am until 5:30pm (with several distractions in between) on Saturday, and then I began to lose a little steam. I found myself motivated, but kind of bored (odd, I know) without the boys underfoot all day long.

I was able to accomplish a lot, around the house and with my favorite hobby. I was productive in doing those things that so often take so much time and effort when my priority is the boys. It's been so, so good to have this time. (And I'm so thankful to my in-laws for taking them for the weekend...thank you thank you thank you!)

I feel refreshed. And relaxed. And ready.

We pick up the boys tomorrow. It's time for them to come home.


It's too quiet around here.



No comments:

Post a Comment